Manchester City are willing to allow one of their most promising youngsters go out on loan to Burnley but only if the Championship club end up with Vincent Kompany as their new manager
Manchester City defender Taylor Harwood-Bellis could go on loan to Burnley – if Vincent Kompany gets the Turf Moor job.
Harwood-Bellis spent the second half of last season on loan at Championship side Stoke and will return to City for pre-season training next month. The 20-year-old is expected to go out on loan again next season and could be on his way back to the Championship with Burnley, following their relegation from the Premier League.
Harwood-Bellis, who started for England Under-21s in Tuesday’s 3-0 win over Albania, spent the first half of last season at Belgian side Anderlecht, playing under former City captain Kompany.
The two could be reunited next season if Kompany, who is also wanted by French side Nice, decides on a return to England with the Clarets, to replace Sean Dyche. Harwood-Bellis, who has made seven first-team appearances for City, is rated by boss Pep Guardiola, but it is felt another season on loan is ideal to further his development.
Harwood has also skippered England U21s and recently spoke of his pride at wearing the armband for the Three Lions. He said: “I love being the captain and that leader of the team but I have said before that every single one of them players is a leader. We have got a huge group and massive personalities in the team so it makes it a lot easier for me.
“Obviously, when you put on that England shirt wherever we are playing we want to win and we feel like we can win with the squad we have got. We go into it like any other game, with the same confidence and belief.”
HAVE YOUR SAY! Who should your club sign and sell this summer? Let us know in the comments section
Charlie Crowhurst – The FA / The FA via Getty Images)
Meanwhile, Ashley Barnes is set to stay at Burnley next season, casting further doubt over Wout Weghorst’s Turf Moor future. Burnley have triggered the 12-month option in Barnes’ deal to keep him at Turf Moor for a ninth year. The Clarets feel Barnes will be of use next season in the Championship, even though he managed just one goal during the last campaign.
Burnley have also offered a two-year deal to Czech striker Matej Vydra, who is recovering from a cruciate ligament injury, on top of handing Jay Rodriguez a two-year contract last month. Burnley see those three as forming the bulk of their strike force and are prepared to let Weghorst leave just six months after he arrived from Wolfsburg for £ 12million.
The Dutch forward has not been a success at Turf Moor and managed just two goals in his 20 appearances since replacing Chris Wood. Besiktas have proposed signing Weghorst on loan with an option to buy him next summer, but the hitman would prefer to return to the Bundesliga or stay in the Premier League.