Supercomputer predicts Premier League title race, top four and relegation on final day

Advertisements

The Premier League final day has been predicted by a supercomputer, with Liverpool, Arsenal and Leeds all being handed bad news with everything left to play for

Jurgen Klopp and Pep Guardiola are battling it out for manager of the season
Jurgen Klopp and Pep Guardiola are battling it out for manager of the season

It’s not often that there’s everything to play for on the final day of the Premier League season, but it just so happened that the title race, a place in the top four and the battle for relegation can all go either way.

On Sunday, it could be Liverpool or Manchester City winning the title, with Arsenal or Tottenham claiming fourth, while Leeds and Burnley slug it out for Premier League survival ahead of next season. There’s still everything to play for, and although there are some clear favorites, no one really knows how it’s going to pan out.

Thankfully, in these situations there is some technology that can help achieve some clarity. And here Mirror Football consults the Reach supercomputer to see how the final day will go, with upsets on the cards for Liverpool and Arsenal.

The Premier League title is still in balance, and it’s the second time in three seasons that either Liverpool or City can claim the English crown on the final day of the season. Liverpool host Wolves knowing that a win is vital, while City welcome Aston Villa to the Etihad Stadium.

If City claim three points, the title it theirs, but if they drop points to Steven Gerrard’s side, then Liverpool will have the opportunity to win their second Premier League with a win against Wolves. However, it’s not likely, and the supercomputer has given City a 73 percent chance of retaining their title.

Therefore on the final day, Liverpool only have a 27 percent chance of causing an upset, with their fate heavily relying on Villa rather than it being in their own hands. It may be a slim chance, but the computer predicts that Arsenal have a slightly higher chance of climbing back into the top four.






Advertisements


Mikel Arteta’s Arsenal have all but blown their top four chances
(

Image:

Getty Images)

Arsenal have handed over the top four privileges to their bitter north London rivals Tottenham, and it looks as though Antonio Conte’s side will be playing Champions League football next season. After losing to both Tottenham and Newcastle, Arsenal have to hope that Norwich can cause an upset while they beat Everton on Sunday.

Tottenham must lose against Norwich at Carrow Road, while Arsenal need to beat an Everton side who have just secured their Premier League status in order to get back into the top four. However, the Gunners have only been given a 29 percent chance of achieving this, with Tottenham 71 percent favorites to finish fourth.

The battle for relegation is slightly closer though, with Burnley and Leeds battling it out for survival after Everton confirmed their Premier League status on Thursday. The pair are tied at 35 points, but due to Burnley’s superior goal difference, Leeds must better their result in order to stay up.







Leeds United are on the brink of relegation
(

Image:

Getty Images)

Burnley host Newcastle, while Leeds travel to Brentford, and it’s because of this that the Clarets hold the advantage. Mike Jackson’s side have a 67 percent chance of staying in the division, according to the computer. Leeds on the other hand have just a 33 percent chance, with former Championship rivals Brentford able to relegate the Peacocks on Sunday with a win.

The only other place to decide is the final Europa League spot, with West Ham hoping that if they can beat Brighton, while Manchester United lose to Crystal Palace then sixth place can be theirs. But the likelihood of that happening is slim.

It’s more likely than in previous years though, as United have suffered a disastrous season, but even they will be confident that sixth place is theirs. If they slip up though, then they could be playing Conference League football next season, in a difficult first campaign for incoming boss Erik ten Hag.

Read More

Read More

.

Advertisements

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.


*