Dean Henderson has admitted he could not wait to get out of Manchester United this summer after slamming the club for making false promises and a “criminal” waste of the past 12 months of his career.
Henderson – who joined Nottingham Forest on a season-long loan last month – revealed he was left “fuming” by United’s treatment of him last summer.
The England goalkeeper said he had been promised the No. 1 jersey over David De Gea going into last season only to contract coronavirus and end up spending the entire campaign on the substitutes’ bench after rebuffing loan moves.
And Henderson revealed he had no interest in talking to the new United manager Erik ten Hag before joining Forest because he did not want anything to stand in the way of a summer exit.
“No [I didn’t speak to Ten Hag],” Henderson told talkSPORT. “I didn’t really want the manager to come in and be able to see me in training because I knew that he’d probably want to keep me.
“I tried to do it all [secure a loan move] before I left for the summer. I told the hierarchy I need to play football. I don’t want to be here playing second fiddle. I was almost gone before the manager came in the door and I haven’t spoken to him since.”
Henderson also made no attempt to hide his anger at his treatment by United’s former manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and the club last summer.
“The conversation I had, coming out of the Euro  squad, was ‘You’re coming back here to be the number one goalkeeper’,” he said. “I got Covid — then I came back so I should have still been the No. 1 but unfortunately no one followed through with anything they told me.
“It was frustrating as well because I turned so many good loans down last summer for that reason [the promise of the No 1 spot]and they wouldn’t let me go.
“To sit there and waste 12 months is really criminal at my age. I was fuming. It’s probably been the toughest 12 months of my career. It’s been hard and I’m so happy I’ve got out of the other end of it now and I’m so excited to be here [at Forest] and ready to go.”
Sevilla are in talks over a potential loan move for United left-back Alex Telles, who is surplus to requirements at Old Trafford.
Man City eye left-back Sergio Gomez after withdrawing from Marc Cucurella talks
By James Ducker
Manchester City are in talks over a deal for the young Anderlecht left-back Sergio Gomez but are still in the market for a more experienced defender in that position after pulling the plug on a move for Marc Cucurella.
City regard Gomez as a promising talent and are hoping to complete a deal for the Spain Under-21 left back.
But Pep Guardiola remains keen to add a more tried and tested left back to his squad, with Kyle Walker and Joao Cancelo the only recognized senior full-backs currently available to him following the departure of Oleksandr Zinchenko to Arsenal.
City wanted to sign Cucurella but backed away from a deal with Brighton unwilling to lower than £50m valuation of the Spain defender, who is now closing in on a move to Chelsea. The Premier League champions were reluctant to pay more than £40m.
Gomez, 21, who started his career at Barcelona, joined Anderlecht from Borussia Dortmund last year and enjoyed an impressive loan season at the Belgian club under former City captain Vincent Kompany.
Sheffield United are close to announcing a season-long loan deal for James McAtee after beating off fierce competition to sign City’s highly-regarded England Under-21 attacking midfielder.
McAtee, 19 – who has been at the center of a tug of war between Premier League and Championship clubs for his signature this summer – was undergoing a medical at Bramall Lane on Tuesday ahead of the move.
But Sheffield United emerged as the frontrunners ahead of Leeds and Bournemouth with manager Paul Heckingbottom making a last impression on McAtee, who was also impressed by the starring role his England Under-21 team-mate Morgan Gibbs-White enjoyed on loan at Bramall Lane last season.
Gibbs-White scored 11 goals in 35 leagues on loan from Wolverhampton Wanderers as the Blades narrowly missed out on promotion to the Premier League following their play-off semi-final defeat to Nottingham Forest and Heckingbottom views McAtee as the ideal replacement.
The decision to allow McAtee to leave on loan has been governed primarily by the desire to get the teenager as many minutes on the pitch as possible next season and all parties feel his interests should be well served under Heckingbottom for the next 12 months.
Leicester, Southampton and Brighton all wanted to sign McAtee permanently but City were only willing to consider a loan with the midfielder considered the latest jewel in the club’s academy.
Leeds were interested in a loan deal with an option to buy McAtee next summer but that was also rebuffed with City eager to bring him fully into the first team fold under Pep Guardiola next season.
McAtee made six substitute appearances across the Premier League, Champions League, FA Cup and League Cup for City last season and is regarded as one of the most talented youngsters to emerge from their academy since Phil Foden.
Like Foden, McAtee is left footed with great vision, creativity, dribbling ability and an eye for goal.
Liam Delap is also expected to leave City on loan this month with Stoke City – for whom his father, Rory, played for six years between 2007 and 2013 – are emerging as the current favorites to sign the England Under-19 striker.
Southampton had a £16 million bid for Delap turned down last month and the 19-year-old has attracted interest from a host of other clubs including Burnley, where Kompany is now manager.